Special Issue on “Advancements in Online and Mobile Survey Methods” in Survey Methods: Insights from the Field
Call for submissions
for a special issue on “Advancements in Online and Mobile Survey Methods”
in Survey Methods: Insights from the Field (https://surveyinsights.org/)
sponsored by German Society for Online Research (DGOF)
Guest editors: Bella Struminskaya (Utrecht University and DGOF) & Florian Keusch (University of Mannheim and DGOF)
Over the past 15 years online and mobile surveys have evolved into an established data collection method in academic and applied social sciences and market research. Recent technological advancements further drive innovation and enable new measurement capabilities that potentially allow new and deeper insights into human interactions, attitudes, and behaviors. The aim of this special issue is to disseminate knowledge about the current state of online and mobile survey methods, focusing on the components of the Total Survey Error framework for cross-sectional and panel surveys as well as augmenting survey data with other data types.
This special issue invites research articles of about 4,000 words. Topics on the advancement of the methodology of online and mobile surveys include, but are not limited to:
● Coverage, sampling, nonresponse, measurement, adjustment, and weighting in online and mobile web surveys
● Online panel quality and panel research
● Survey design and survey gamification
● Comparing online and mobile web surveys to traditional approaches (face to face, telephone, paper)
● Use of paradata and passive measurement, including but not limited to, the research on consent and privacy
● Combining self-reports from online and mobile surveys with data from other sources (e.g., passive mobile data collection through apps and sensors, social media data, administrative records)
● Emergent forms of data collection, including chat-bots and survey messengers, voice recordings, photo and video upload, and others
Submissions to the special issue are welcome until 15 January 2020. Upon submission manuscripts will be peer-reviewed in accordance with standard journal practice and will be published online soon after acceptance.
January 15, 2020 Manuscript submission
April 30, 2020 Feedback from the reviewers and editors
June 30, 2020 Revisions due
July 30, 2020 Final feedback from the editors
September 15, 2020 Final draft due
October/November, 2020 Publication of the special issue
Electronic copies of the manuscripts should be uploaded at https://surveyinsights.org following the guidelines of the Survey Methods: Insights from the Field (For Authors). You may want to use the template of the Survey Methods: Insights from the Field (SMIF- article template.). To ensure consideration in the special issue, please check the category box “Advancements in Online and Mobile Survey Methods” on the right-hand column when creating a new article on the journal platform. Queries about this special issue should be directed to Bella Struminskaya at email@example.com.
General Online Research Conference 2020 (GOR 20)
The authors submitting to this special issue are invited to submit their work to the GOR 20 conference (paper abstracts due 15 November 2019; poster abstracts due 24 January 2020).
You can download the Call for Submissions here.