Our first GOR Science Speed Dating provides an opportunity for all early-career online researchers (i.e. PhD students) and practitioners (i.e. within their first 5 years in the online research industry) to get to know and connect with others in the field in a fun and engaging way. Especially for first-time visitors at GOR, the event offers a great informal and casual way to get to know other conference participants and to meet a diverse group of early career people from different backgrounds, disciplines, and institutions.
Participants will have the chance to engage in a series of five eight-minute one-on-one conversations to share their research, current work projects, interests and ideas.
How it works:
- Register for a spot at the Early Career Science Speed Dating via ConfTool (you can select this option while booking your GOR ticket).
- The organizers will review all registrations and then anonymously determine who will be meeting whom.
- At the event itself, each participant will be handed a “dating card” at the beginning, on which is listed in which round he or she has to be at which of the tables (numbered).
- At each table, both participants in turn will have the opportunity to pitch their research or current project before moving on to meet the next person.
- Did you particularly enjoy some conversations? Great! Mark up to two conversations which sparked your interest the most on your card. When all rounds are finished, you will be asked to return your dating cards to the organizers. After the conference, the organizers will check which interlocutors have “matched” with each other and draw a winning couple from all matching pairs. Both members of the winning match will receive a free conference ticket for next year’s GOR as well as each other’s email address to continue the conversation.
The Early Career Science Speed Dating will happen before the GOR Get Together and include free drinks.
When: Wednesday, 20 September 2023, 7 pm (right before the GOR Get Together)
Where: Caricatura Bar, Kassel (next to Kassel Main Station)
Admission: free – but book your seat in advance via ConfTool is required, as seating is limited and we need to match you for your talks!